The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship
The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship is a 2-year program that engages students in research-intensive experiences in Life Sciences, Chemistry and Physics. As a student participant, a L@s GANAS scholar, you will gain sustained and meaningful exposure to research environments, you will learn about research as a career and be provided with a visible path towards it. You will also be embraced by the UIC research community and introduced to national research communities in your field.
What are the benefits of research with L@s GANAS?
As a L@s GANAS scholar, you will
- Work closely with experienced researchers
- Gain hands on research experience
- Develop academic and personal skills by working in collaboration with others
- Be eligible to receive financial assistance while working on a research project – up to $2,500 a semester*
Have the opportunity to present original research in national and local conferences
Participate in a science leadership workshop in the fall prior to engaging in research projects
- Fall 2017: Students will be enrolled in Bios 294: Special Topics. This workshop will meet on Wednesdays from 3:00 – 4:30 pm (CRN: 41216). Location TBD. This is a seminar course and will require some outside readings, but most work will occur in discussion. Students must obtain permission before enrolling.
- If possible, earn course credit
Here is what you need to participate:
- Be currently enrolled as full-time undergraduate student starting your second academic year in the Fall 2017 semester at UIC or a new transfer student beginning in Fall 2017
- Self identify as Latinx
- Commit to enroll for 2 full academic years (four semesters) in our research program
- Intend to major in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Neuroscience or related natural sciences or engineering major.
- Maintain good academic standing
* Students must be FAFSA-eligible to receive financial assistance. Participation in the research experience is NOT contingent on FAFSA status.
Why Latinx? Latinx (pronounced “La-TEEN-ex”) is a gender-inclusive way of referring to people of Latin American descent. This includes people who identify as Latin@, Latino, Latina, Hispanic, Latin American, Hispanic American, Chicano, Chicana, etc.