Latin@s Gaining Access to Networks for Advancement in Science
Welcome to Latin@s Gaining Access to Networks for Advancement in Science or L@S GANAS!
We are here to support Latinx students who plan to study science through a menu of services in a manner that values and further develops ties between heritage and emerging identity as a scientist.
Because we want your experiences at UIC to be rewarding and empowering from day one, we offer specific services at different moments of your UIC career. Below is a list of the ways in which you can be part of L@s GANAS:
- Incoming Latinx students are invited to request a peer mentor as soon as they are accepted to UIC
- Sophomores and Junior students are invited to mentor incoming Latin@ UIC students
- Sophomores are invited to participate in our two-year L@S GANAS research experience. Students in the research experience may receive financial support.
- After displaying academic success in specific courses, students are invited to become peer leaders to assist other students in the targeted courses. Peer leaders receive financial compensation for their contribution.
- All students are invite to explore the rich connections between Latin@ heritage and science through dialogues and social events at the UIC Latino Cultural Center
Along side these specific programs, transition coaches are embedded at specific high schools and two-year colleges, and are available to visit different school and community organizations to discuss how to best prepare for a successful career at UIC.
Why Latinx? Latinx (pronounced “La-TEEN-ex”) is a gender-inclusive way of referring to people of Latin American descent. This includes people who identify as Latin@, Latino, Latina, Hispanic, Latin American, Hispanic American, Chicano, Chicana, etc.