How does it work?
If you are a freshman or a transfer student, become a mentee.
As a mentee you will:
- Work with one advanced Latinx undergraduate majoring in the same or similar major as you and learn from their experience.
- Have the opportunity to make new friends and be part of a caring community from day one
If you are a sophomore or junior UIC student, become a mentor.
As a mentor you will:
- Work with one incoming Latinx student during their first year at UIC.
- Have the opportunity to share experiences, answer questions, share information about our university and community resources, give feedback and, most important, share your secret to success.
- Develop academic, social and professional skills while helping others and making new friends.
Mentoring con GANAS step by step
- Incoming Latinx students are matched to advanced undergraduate Latinx students before the beginning of the academic year.
- Students are matched within same/similar fields.
- A mentee is paired to one mentor.
- Mentors provide support to one incoming student.
- Mentors initially contact mentees by email, phone or social networks.
- Mentors and mentees meet in person before classes start.
- Mentors reach out to mentees at least twice a month.
- Mentors interact with mentees regularly to discuss goals, classes and provide guidance on resources located on campus.
- Mentors and mentees participate in L@S GANAS social gatherings during the academic year .