What is Mentoring con GANAS?
Mentoring con GANAS is one of the many ways Latinx students can get connected and supported at UIC. Through our peer mentoring program first year and transfer Latinx students are paired with advanced Latinx UIC undergraduates before the start of the academic year making Mentoring con GANAS the first opportunity for you to get involved with other Latinx students here at UIC.
If you are an incoming Latinx student majoring or intending to major in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Chemistry or related fields, become a mentee.
If you are a UIC undergraduate student majoring or intending to major in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Chemistry or related fields and your GPA is equal or higher than 2.5, become a mentor.
How does Mentoring con GANAS work?
- Work with one advanced Latinx undergraduate majoring in the same or similar major as you and learn from their experience.
- Participate on social and academic events with other mentees and mentors
- Have the opportunity to make new friends and be part of a caring community from day one
- Work with one incoming Latinx student during their first year at UIC.
- Have the opportunity to share experiences, answer questions, share information about our university and community resources, give feedback and, most important, share your secret to success.
- Develop academic, social and professional skills while helping others and making new friends.
Mentoring con GANAS Step by Step
- Incoming Latinx students are matched to advanced undergraduate Latinx students before the beginning of the academic year.
- Students are matched within same/similar fields.
- A mentee is paired to one mentor.
- Mentors provide support to one incoming student.
- Mentors and mentees participate on training sessions.
- Mentors and mentees meet in person before class starts.
- Mentors interact with mentees at least twice per month to discuss goals, classes and provide guidance on resources located on campus.
- Mentors and mentees participate in L@S GANAS social gatherings during the academic year.
Important: MCG Mentee’s Application for the 2019-2020 academic year will open on February 15th, 2019.
Mentoring con GANAS coordinator
Why Latinx? Latinx (pronounced “La-TEEN-ex”) is a gender-inclusive way of referring to people of Latin American descent. This includes people who identify as Latin@, Latino, Latina, Hispanic, Latin American, Hispanic American, Chicano, Chicana, etc.